« What a flight... | Startpagina | Start vanuit Stuttgart ... »

26 oktober 2005

Medisch rapport Richard Abruzzo...

Dat tijdens de jongste Gordon Bennett niet alles van een leien dakje gelopen was wisten we al langer. Onderstaande tekst komt van de hand van Richard Abruzzo… we willen wel duidelijk stellen dat we dit NIET plaatsen uit sensatiezucht, maar op vraag van Richard zelf.
Voor ons HET BEWIJS dat het met Richard’s medische conditie de goede weg op gaat… we wensen hem dan ook bij deze een verder voorspoedig herstel en hopen hem vlug terug te zien!


October 23, 2005

The flight had gone very well for 21 hours. We were very happy with our ballast situation and the tracks to the northeast that we were able to maintain. After flying all day in stable air we were caught by a very severe down draft at about 3:30 pm. Despite our best efforts to arrest the descent we hit the top ground wire (non-energized) of a set of power lines on the south side of a farm road in southwest Kansas. They were of course the only power lines for miles. The wind was blowing approximately 35 to 40 knots at the surface. According to Carol we were momentarily hung up on the line and I was trying to jostle the gondola free when the line snapped. The balloon then began to climb and move north rapidly across the farm road as the gondola pitched violently as much as 60 degrees. Carol was thrown against the side rail and hit her head and I was ejected from the gondola. I have no memory of the downdraft, the contact with the line or my fall.

Carol did not see me fall. I woke up alone in the edge of the cornfield on the north side of the road. Because the balloon was climbing after the line broke, we estimate by the time it reached the north side of the road where I fell, that I was ejected from 30 to 40 feet. Maybe 30 minutes later (we don't really know how long for sure) I regained consciousness. I came to and gathered up some equipment and started to walk to a nearby farmhouse only thinking I had a badly broken wrist. I was most likely in shock. Turns out I also had a fractured pelvis, internal bleeding, broken ribs, severe neck whiplash, a leg injury that caused blood clots in my lower left leg and a concussion which explains my total amnesia of the incident.

I was picked up by the electric company linesman coming to fix the damage to the power lines. They let me use their phone to call my wife, the command center and my brother. They then intercepted an ambulance that was coming for me and I was taken to a small hospital in Ulysses, Kansas where I was then transported to Garden City, Kansas where I had a surgery to stabilize the wrist (an external rod like Frankenstein). My wife Nancy, her brother and my brother flew in up in a small plane and made it to the hospital in Garden City before I did. After two days in Kansas I was flown by an air ambulance plane to Albuquerque where I had a second surgery on the wrist (4 hours) to remove the rod and put all the pieces in the right place. The end of my radius was shattered and they used a plate and 13 screws to put it back together. At that point we thought it was time for me to start my recovery.

Two days after the second wrist surgery I took a major turn for the worse. This happened on Saturday the 8th, the day of the Gordon Bennett Awards Banquet. They are not exactly sure why it happened but my lungs filled with fluid and they moved me into intensive care where I stayed for four days. The doctors told me it was a life threatening situation and it felt like it - I could hear and feel gurgling in my lungs and I could only take shallow, choppy breaths. It was a very frightening time and there was a point where it was for sure out of my hands. They put me on oxygen with a full mask. They were giving me 100% oxygen and my blood oxygen content was only about 75% instead of a normal 96%. After 4 days of oxygen and medications I was in the clear. They are still not exactly sure what caused the lung crisis but are calling it an acute lung injury from the fall. Other theories are that I threw a blood clot or a fat emboli from a broken bone into the lungs or had negative reaction to the blood transfusions.

I was in the hospitals in Kansas and Albuquerque a total of 12 days. My wife slept by my side every night to help care for me. I am very grateful to be here. I have received 2 huge gifts - surviving the initial fall and the lung complication six days later. My attitude is very positive since I am simply happy to still be here. The hand is already coming along and I feel a little better each day. I have to use a walker for a month to allow the pelvis to heal. The blood clots will break down on their own during the next several weeks. I quit the painkillers cold turkey and am in considerable pain at times which prevents me from sleeping but I prefer the clarity to the drug induced haze that clouded my mind for the first two weeks. I now understand that my recovery will be a slow process. My body was extensively damaged and will take quite some time to heal. I will take it one day at a time.

Carol is doing fine. She did an amazing job. The emotional pressure on her was intense. When I was thrown from the gondola she did not know whether I had survived or not. She was able to mark my position immediately and call it in so as to get rescue resources headed promptly my way as she rocketed up to 14,000 feet. She then made a landing in a very lightly loaded balloon in 40 knot winds. The gondola inverted on her at one point and she was then ejected and drug by her foot for a time. She was pretty bruised and banged up but will be just fine. I am very proud of her actions under very difficult circumstances.

Soft Landings,
Richard Abruzzo

Geplaatst door Luc om 19:25

Stuur dit nieuws naar

Email dit nieuws naar:

Uw e-mail adres:

Bericht (optioneel):


maart 2009
januari 2009
september 2008
augustus 2008
juli 2008
mei 2008
maart 2008
december 2007
oktober 2007
september 2007
augustus 2007
juli 2007
juni 2007
mei 2007
april 2007
februari 2007
januari 2007
december 2006
november 2006
oktober 2006
september 2006
augustus 2006
juni 2006
april 2006
maart 2006
december 2005
november 2005
oktober 2005
september 2005
augustus 2005
juli 2005
juni 2005
april 2005
maart 2005
februari 2005
januari 2005
december 2004
november 2004
oktober 2004
september 2004
augustus 2004
juli 2004
juni 2004
mei 2004
april 2004
maart 2004
februari 2004
januari 2004
december 2003
november 2003
oktober 2003
september 2003
augustus 2003

Laatste berichten

Lichter dan lucht
Gasballon wedstrijd tijdens WAG gaat niet door
Mannen met een missie...
Helma Sjuts overleden
15 Teuto-Wettfahrt 2008
Coupe Aéronautique Gordon Bennett 2008 - de teams
D-OCOX - Belgica II vaart opnieuw!
GB 2009 in Geneve
GB 2008 in Albuquerque
America's Challenge - update #2


Volledig nieuwsarchief


Official Gordon Bennett Pages


Belgian Balloon Pages